Friday, November 7, 2008

Halloween in Athens

So, there was quite a lot of buildup towards Halloween in Athens. It was supposed to bring in 20,000 people from out of town - into a town that was normally only about that size. I'll admit, it was fairly crazy. Nothing on the scale of Mardi Gras; close, perhaps, to 6th Street on a really wild night. But with more costumes. I had a pretty good time - I dressed up as the narrator and had a delightful mustache as previously mentioned.
Around 4pm or so I was in the office in the English building, trying to do some work, and I decided to go get some coffee and see if it was starting to get weird outside. Turns out, they block off the main drag of town early in the day and have bands and such playing. This band was playing "Bulls on Parade" when I walked up. And the lead singer was wearing a Hulk Hogan outfit. Woot.

I eventually went downtown at like 7:30 or so, and it was staring to pick up. I was with my friend Ali and two of her friends - one was in from New York, one was in from L.A. I felt fancy, partying with rich socialites. There were some McCain/Palin supporters on this balcony, yelling down at the people walking by. I couldn't tell if it was a costume or not. Eventually I went to a party being thrown by one of the second-year grad students. There was a band playing in the carport under the house, a fire, pretty girls and lots of drinking. We headed back to the wild block party around midnight, and had probably gotten twice as packed compared to when I had been there earlier. Here are some pictures of some of the people I was traveling around with, one of whom was a Sarah Palin with a sash that said "Miss Alaska" and a shirt that said "Miss Guided, Miss Ogynist, Mistake" on it. And yes, my phone's camera sucks at night pictures. OH WELL.

No comments: