Monday, September 29, 2008
Maybe me missing Sam's input is my body telling me that I'm missing something more 'core'. Like when I haven't had any protein and I suddenly want a hamburger. I dunno. I typed out about 5 different version of how this paragraph ends and none of them made any sense after a few minutes of thinking.
Don't forget my Alaska pictures. It was a very perfect trip. The oddest thing was trying to remember that I was so far away, and then trying to put that in perspective when combined with the people and the personality of the town. It is hard to explain.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Friday, September 26, 2008
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Check it out.
this is the best.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Monday, September 22, 2008
so so, i dropped dru off and he ended up leaving his keys in my car. well, my drunk ass was apparently not paying attention to my phone (or not knowing how to work my phone which happened at sxsw with cotton due to too much drinking) and dru was calling and calling and calling and calling to tell me to come back.
so so so, he broke into his own house. (i'm lolling right now) and here are some pics.
and here is dru's paper towel wrapped hand. (i'm still lolling)
the next morning, i came over to hand over the keys and got to hear a hilarious story about the cops coming over to his apartment. please ask him about it. it's so funny. then dru made some breakfast and then i went home to go back to sleep and then i threw up at work because i make bad choices.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Then we made the mistake of trying to drive out to the area where the sighting happened. Down some West Virginia backroads. We were lost for like an hour and ended up 15 miles north of where we crossed the Ohio River, in the other direction. I thought we were going to get gang-raped by some mutant cannibal hillbillies. And now, pictures!
Chelsea, Julie and Amanda standing in front of the Mothman sculpture that stands in downtown.
The Ohio river is purty.
Another random sculpture of an Indian chief, in front of this sweet mural on the back of a seawall kind of deal. There was some big battle between colonists and Indians right hurr.
Friday, September 19, 2008
"so i got really drunk last night and ended up breaking in through my apartment window cutting my hand open. how do you know if you should get stitches? <-dru>"
i asked him if he could see any bones. no answer yet.
also, i'm bored. if you couldn't tell already.
"no. just flesh. maybe an inch or so deep? <-dru>"
ryan and bob, who are working at the coffee shop, and one random guy ordering a drink said, yeah, stitches are probably a good idea.
(note: i couldn't really respond to them because a friend was over who had just been broken up with)
dru: katy just backl you a bitch
me: wha? you a bitch
dru: N0 wmt000
(those are all zeroes, not O's)
Like i said, i couldn't respond really cause i was talking to someone who was basically in tears. but seriously. andrew. wtf? come to austin and get drunk with me.
No seriously, this video is really awesome. It's not funny or quotable but I really enjoyed it and I thought some of you would.
I couldn't figure out how to embed it so here is the link ... It's the blogpost called: Moral Psychology of Politics.
It's fucking sweet. Seriously.
(I understand no one will watch this.)
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
I am back.
I hope you survived IKE last weekend.
Izumi was here to visit us and was nice to see him.
He looks good and adjusting well to his new environment.
I am glad you had George Washington with you.
I'm sure Samuel is very happy about that.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
sean, you're coming to houston this week correct? 17th you'll be here? we need to break in dru's new place. nice hurricane vid by the way. that was hilarious.
hi evil, being broke sucks. i had to call txu to convince them to take off my last couple months late fees. i made up all this crazy shit to get out of them. i hope it doesn't come back to me.
thanks to everyone in nac who called me to see if i was okay. second family. <3
we drove around some and some of the places open included:
carmen's erotic boutique
hertz fried chicken
chevron (which we actually went into and these big mexican dudes started getting an attitude with the people who worked there saying like "why don't you want to give me some beer, fool." and all this and the owner pulled out a gun so we just got the fuck out of there. people are crazy)
west alabama ice house
call dru and tell him you love him. he's lonely in his awesome apartment with nothing to do.
Friday, September 12, 2008
STAND YOUR GROUND (video coming soon)
Thursday, September 11, 2008
i noticed that a few of us have clicked on the "favorite this blog" widget on the side bar. that's cool! it got me thinking- "do all of my friends know everything about the internet like me?" so, in an attempt to bring to you the joys of RSS feeds and Google Reader, here are some links that will help you get the most out of blogs, news posts, and all things internet. followed by my top 7 best things about google reader. number 7 is the most important, so read all the way through.
this video will tell you about the concept behind google reader, RSS feeds.
this video will briefly explain the concept behind google reader.
here is a more in depth explanation of google reader.
here is my google reader window*. you can see that rabbit, max, mike and a few other people have shared web pages in the past. since i can reach them on gchat, i can see whenever the share something. i like to share things that are really cool, but that don't really warrant a blog post. especially stuff about how palin sucks, b/c every time something is shared i feel like the buzz of that story will go up a little bit.
a few things i've learned since using google reader**.
1. you don't have to read everything. no one will know, and if you get overwhelmed you can mark everything as read.
2. i never get overwhelmed, b/c i'm picky about what i subscribe to
3. i still goto the blog i'm reading about 70% of the time. it feels more personal sometimes. you can click the article's title, or the blog's title to get to their actual pages.
4. i know about contests and important thingies faster than most people who read the blogs that i check. so basically, i'm on top of everything.
5. you can drag icons (from the settings tab) that let you note/share things from anywhere on the web. it will say "note in reader" on your bookmark pane. this is good if you don't want to subscribe, but want to have access to a certain article, and to send it to friends.
6. if you have a gmail account*** then you can use google reader, but there are other RSS aggregators out there. but i've tried them and they blow chunks.
7. and this might be the most important one- i never miss a post on the 122 blog. or any other high traffic blog. with umpteen of us posting things from quick and silly to very important, it would suck if you missed something. so don't let it happen to you! use google reader and don't miss the next stupid picture of aaron's**** and don't miss jo(sephine)'s next correspondence with Mari.
*yes i subscribe to the WOW undead pacifist blog. its about a guy who is trying to get to 70 with an undead gnome priest without killing ANYTHING. it is really interesting. with videos!!
**since you were born son.
***and if you don't just give up.
****just kidding aaron. me gusta.
*****bonus for reading my footnotes! twitter!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
hey mike texas called they need you
yeah that just happened, i hope dru is proud.
I am getting so tired of school because I am not making any money and continuing to go into debt. So far I'm 17,000 in. Isn't that crazy? For me it is anyways...I've never experienced this. I was a spoiled undergrad b/c my parents paid for my rent and tuition. Now they pay for nothing. Don't get me wrong, I like it that way. My dad treated me like shit most of the time I was growing up so I don't want his money anymore. That's fine with me. I work as a writing tutor still. I'm tired of that too. I want a job more related to the mental health field.
Otherwise, I am still learning interesting stuff and I have school friends (but nothing compared to you guys). I have a cat, a bird, and a cool bf. I have my own place! Remember when Cotten and I lived together? Hah. Hopefully she and I will be hanging out this Sunday.
Mike, I have something for you...it's just a matter of going to the post office. I want to cheer you up you sweet little thing you.
CHRIS WHAT IS THE UPDATE ON YOUR OXYCOTIN ADDICTION?
Does anyone know what they want to be for Halloween? I'm going to be Michaelangelo the Ninja Turtle.
I'M GOING TO AUSTIN FOR HALLOWEEN (no more party in Humble b/c of an Hockey game at UT) COME WITH ME!
also this. what is oozing out of our ground?
I feel like posting a few videos is good times and all, but why not give you, my friends and family, a little heads up as to the vectors and velocities i'm working with.
today- in the office/malcolm vet appointment.
this weekend (12th-14th)- ultimate tournament in dallas (denton really)
17th- (night) going to hang out with dru and meowwwsky. important business will go on (more on that later).
18th- (noonish) fly to seattle. eat lunch with the k. scifres (?)
18th- (afternoonish) get back on plane, fly to alaska
18th-25th be drunk for as long as the day is short. take in beauty of alaskan range. destroy beauty shortly after in a drunken rage. be cold/dead/in ditch. be norther than i'll ever be again.
26th to 28th- maybe goto austin for music fest?
30th- million dollar grant deadline. much work to do. deff. not going to austin
October 3rd-4th- goto austin. ultimate tournament. see moms/grandpa/fams
5th-?- not go anyfuckingwhere.
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
1. I love you
2. Thank you for dedicating a whole post to me.
3. Aside from that, it was still a sweet article. Full of nuance and other cool shit.
4. My Backspace key is broken which makes it very frustrating to type.
5. Clementine sometimes follows my parents' little wiener dog under my bed and gets stuck. I usually help her out but right now she is moaning because I am tired of her doing stupid things and so I'm not helping her. It's hilarious.
6. Brian I don't know your mother and so feel kind of bad about saying this, but does your mom know that Sarah Palin is under investigation for firing a highly ranked Alaskan official who wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law? Does she know that Sarah Palin received more pork barrel money than any other governor in the country during her tenure? Does she know that Sarah Palin billed the state of Alaska for living expenses so she could live in her home town of Wasilla when she should have been running the state in Jeaneau? Does she know that Sarah Palin believes in "abstinence only" education without which the chances of her daughter being pregnant - and forced into a shotgun wedding with a guy whose last words on his MySpace profile are "I don't want kids," all so her mother might have the chance to be Vice fucking President in one of the most perilous times in the past 50 years - would be significantly lower? I assume that she doesn't. And I am only asking because she said that we know so much about her and so little about Barak Obama. But I know that he is not under investigation. And I know that he believes in teaching children how to use condoms. Please don't tell your dear Mother that I said all this. I am sure she is a very sweet, charming, smart woman whom I look forward to meeting one day. It will be nice to put a face with the vagina I know oh so well.
7. Also, I must say that Rabbit knows a hell of a lot more about everything than me he just doesn't run his mouth like I do.
I just read #6. I sound ridiculous. Am I really that big of a dick? Please don't show your mom this.
i dont really follow politics for many reasons
1. im un-informed, mostly becuase i am lazy and i dont inform myself which basically creates a giant circle
2. it doesnt interest me, i dont really think in the long term so issues that are usually addressed dont hit me too hard, i'll probably learn the hard way down the line, but im too passive to care
this is probably one of my bigger flaws, i can honeslty say that sometimes i wish i knew what the fuck chris, or max is talking about but it goes back to those two reasons and im somehow comfortable with that. i truley resepect those who follow and keep to thier views and convictions. i have my beliefs and my morals and i stick to my word (unless we are talking about little things like "but i cant play disc golf i HAVE to study for an accounting exam")
/ the point is yes i am probably ignorant to some things but i dont bitch about it when things dont go my way. if Mccain gets elected or if Obama does, i cant complain. becuase i didnt let my voice be heard and i didnt vote. yes i know theres that lazy flaw i have, im sorry. anyway i read this blog below and i got that semse of respect again, and it made me think of the generation below me and how they are getting informed. whether people realize it or not music is biggest form of communication in our country and when little kids are listening to said bands they are being brain washed and conforming. i went home this weekend and the first conversation i had with my mom (well me just listening) was her explaining how awesome Palin is, and how we know so much about her and we know nothing about Obama. like i said before i cant judge or complain but i know a biased argument or statement when i hear one. i told my mom that if she were a democrat she would be having this same conversation but he would be talkng about obama and biden and would be complaining about the lack of back story from Palin and McCain.
she denied it, yet im pretty sure chris or max could talk about Obama for days.
anyway thats me rambling about stuff i know nothing of, but i read this and understood what he is trying to say. jus thought some of you more intelligent people would like to read it and take an opinion on it.
actually, these thougths are an exstension of the night chris and i shared with the whole music thing and appreciating and respecting what the other person listens too. so chris . .i like both these bands that this singer is apart of, whether or not i agree with what he writes and sings about i respect it and im glad he can do what he does, the same goes for you buddy
PS. chris stop thinking about what Obama and McCains weiners look like and think about the real issues
i guess i don't have that much to add, since all the cool videos i ever see are shown to me by brian. or mike, before he sold out and left the best state.
jk mike i guess it's KIND OF cool that you are going to grad school and being a teacher and doing cool shit and being in a new place.
but really everything is about the same as you all left it, except that chris is at his parents and george is my new clementine. YA HEAR THAT? I'VE REPLACED YOU. that is what you get for choosing chris over me.
oh wait. clem doesn't read english. what a whore.
I just signed into my youtube account for the first time on this computer and had to check how our video was doing. The last page of comments is overwhelmingly positive, and I think our stars have gone up! For those who never read the comments before, the first page or two all say "FAGGZ" "DIE FAGGZ".
And if you've never seen that before, well hot damn.
Monday, September 8, 2008
i've been going to agora like every other day to check my email and catch up on celeb gossip. it kinda sucks to not have internet at my apartment, but it's honestly kind of nice to have an extra excuse to get out of the house.
i took that photo the last time i was here and i was all up on this blog.
my family found out that my uncle is a famous painter. uncle irbe. that was pretty great. he sent me a painting as a graduation present MADE JUST FOR ME. i've never had a winter wonderland, so he painted me some winter.
and this is me looking like a teacher.
also, i'm going to gatorfest next weekend i think and i'm probably going to explode from all the awesome.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
I thought I'd post a link to this video because I thought it was fitting. Mike, Chris, Sam, and Rabbit were the ones to show me the original.
John McCain gets BarackRolled
Saturday, September 6, 2008
So, anyway, as I'm sure some of you who are included in this list know, Sam went through his facebook at some point and started crafting little vignettes about how he knew different people, on facebook's "how do you know this person?" thing. They are overall funny, and witty, and very much Sam. I was remembering this recently, and think I mentioned it to someone who had never seen them, and I got curious about an hour ago to read mine again. And in the process I went through and read everybody else's. And copied them all to a text file to post on the blog in an easy-to-read fashion. Some of them are part of the group, some of them are people I don't know at all. But here it is. I enjoyed reading these, hopefully you will too.
* They met randomly: Deep within a nameless dungeon, adventuring for loot no less, I was struck down by a giant toad. All seemed lost but a magic wielding rogue rolled a statistics defying amount of 20's, saving my life.
* They met randomly: During the Great War, I was ordered to "go over the top". As the whistles blew and we streamed forth in to No Mans Land, I found myself in a shell crater with a blond bespectacled soldier. Carpentier and I were friends ever since.
* They met randomly: Used to strip at a club called Le Bare, Cotten came in all the time and had a developed a habit of leaving 20's in my g-string.
* They met randomly: Finding myself with only one comrade left on the battlefield, I met Max. Together we were able to repel a direct assault by Crusers and his whole team with only one bullet a piece, bayonets, and a whole lot of Say Anything.
* They met randomly: Was rocking out to Foreigner during the Metal Lands concert, and who do I see flashing Lou Gramm but little old Meagan.
* They met randomly: Back in my privateering days Eldridge and I used to pillage treasure with saber and flintlock pistol in hand.
* They met randomly: She signed on as a dirty pirate hooker for my ship.
* They met randomly: I apparently sucked her off through a glory hole.
* You met randomly: I'd taken one bullet too many, surrounded by enemies I laid in a puddle of crimson. All seemed lost until several shots rang out and none but one still stood. I strained to see my savior; heroes wear mullets and carry .357's.
* They met randomly: Yoshi and I had both volunteered for the Jinrai Butai but the War ended before we could fall in battle. Since then we decided to live our lives peacefully until the homeland once again calls for our services.
* They met randomly in 1951: Whilst razing a town for mine own delight, a tiny pixie, Nadaha, loosed an arrow (tooth pick) in to my eye. This eyepatch is a reminder of how I dislike pixies and all of faerie kind.
* They met randomly: I was in a particularly cold region slaughtering penguins at a whim when a tiny, "fun-size" girl attempts to stop me. The battle was such that I haven't any memory of the outcome, but i'd like to think I let her live because I was too busy ending penguins.
* They met randomly in 1966: In the jungles of 'Nam.
* They met randomly: Back after the Krauts surrendered, Corporal Reeves and I were stationed in Berlin. Had a great time drinking vodka with the ruskies, and learned the corporal had quite the talent for piano.
* They met randomly: Met Evil at Gothcon 04, she wears black knee high boots with a 4 inch lift.
* They met randomly: I've a penchant for playing online billiards. One night I was approached by a particularly salacious player who in fact turned out to be our Mrs. Laura Sandifer. Who knew?
* They met randomly: After being framed for a the theft of some priceless art, I was on the run from international authorities. The feds were close by but Kari let me hide in her room assuring my freedom. I still owe her a favor.
Lindsey Shepherd (the freshman girl who was topless at Mabeufapalooza)
* They met randomly: A large marker and too much alcohol.
* They met randomly in 2004: In 04 I was sweating her nuts, then she tea bagged me so now we're just friends.
* They met randomly: Was in the audience at the college edition of Wheel of Fortune, during the price guessing pre-round she beat me by $.03. Three cents that will haunt me forever!
* They met randomly: When we pilaged a villege in asia while armed with a Back Scratcher and a tooth pick as our primary weapons.
Friday, September 5, 2008
Thursday, September 4, 2008
This is the photo that we framed and put up:
Some of you may have already seen that, but here- for the first time on the interwebs are the outtakes.
You might be wondering why I am just now showing these to you. What you don't fucking trust me? Fine, you're bitch anyway.
Regardless, this past weekend when Aaron, Jo(sephine) and I walked into that bar of bars, Theresa (one of my favorite waitresses) said "nice picture Sean". I played dumb for about 30 seconds and then cracked a huge smile. Another waiter said "when are you guys playing again? i heard you rocked Bullwinkles!"
I was worried that they would be mad, I mean, we did put two screw holes (insert joke here) into their wall. As it turns out, they were ecstatic. John, the manager who is the only person close to Bill's level said that he was really impressed and that it is staying forever. Bill hasn't seen it yet, but I'm sure he'll love it too. John said so.
When Sam died, there was a night that we all went up to the FB and sat in the back and drank and talked. John came up to me and said that he was sorry for our loss and that he is glad that he knew Sam and that he knew us. Said we were all nice people. He bought us a round of lonestars and I thought that was really cool. Personally, that is the kind of place that I have always found Flashback to be. A "Cheers" atmosphere on one night and a club scene the next (last night for example) and then the next day it is the only place to eat delicious food, drink a beer and watch a basketball game.
Well, I guess I got a little sappy there, but I don't think you'll hold it against me, it just highlights why this picture is one of the biggest achievements in my life. I have been thinking about this for about 4 years. Now to have it up- and to have the staff there ALL love it? Too much to ask for.
Some funny things they assumed about the picture:
that we stole a picture frame from them
that we just glued our picture on top of another one
that we told everyone in the world but them
that we are a real band (I told them we are of course)
that it had only been up for a few days
Without further waitings, here are the bloopers:
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
edit: also, for those of you that don't twitter - one of the other grad students looks like Jenny Lewis and her and I have bonded over cigarettes and coffee. Best thing ever.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
click to get the full picture.
This one is especially special to my heart. It means that most of us know the glory of Firefox (or are a dick and have an iphone) and that only some of us are retarded and use IE. (note: in the real world, IE and FF are flipped, with about 88% of the world being completely and utterly useless. i hate IE. has that been made clear?)
This one just shows the number of visits per day.
This is a map of where people are at when they view the site. Who do we know in Italy?
Monday, September 1, 2008
I walked around campus for about an hour after I got here. The campus is huge, and pretty - reminds me of Tulane but a lot bigger. Also, downtown Athens appears to pretty much be the college. As I was turning off the highway, on a sign pointing towards Downtown, somebody had put quotes around the word, which made me chuckle. This is the dorm I'll be living in-
Looks pretty sweet, from the outside at least. Anyway, I miss the hell out of you guys already. I feel very out-of-place right now, but hopefully that'll pass soon.
(Start with the bottom email and work up.)
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I am glad I am here to help my mother, but can't wait to go home.
I will go home on 9/9, and 1 month is a long time to be away from home.
Hope your classes are going well, and please send all my love to everybody!
Mari Howlett (Colquitt) email@example.com
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:34:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Sending Hi from Japan
I am so sorry to hear about your father. I know that even when a loved one has been sick, it is so hard to lose them. Know that we in Nacogdoches are thinking of you and your family.
I'm counting on next year to be better than this one at least.
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Mari Howlett <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
I am sending this to you from Japan.
It's so good to hear from you.
I hope all is well with you and everybody.
Unfortunately, my father died on 8/7 and I am here since 8/10 to help my mother.
I will go home on 9/9.
My father had been ill for a long time and it was not a surprise to any of us.
All the same, this has been a sad year for us.
Izumi has gone off to A & M a week ago and I am hoping he is doing OK.
I know it's a big change for him, and am very excited for him too.
Please send all my love to everybody.