Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ohio, Autumn

I've always enjoyed what I think of as "Fall" - slightly crisper air for about one week a month in October and November, the occasional windiness, pumpkin carving and pumpkin pie. Now that I live in Ohio, however, I have truly experienced the transition to Autumn. Trees light up for a short, but wonderful, burst of color, a festival of lights in miniature. I now understand what the point of a Fall Foliage Tour might be - an experience that should I desire to undertake is available out of Athens by train. Apparently it's kind of boring, though, because it goes in a straight line and back, instead of a circle.

The weather has been consistently chilly; the days that I'm not forced to wear a hoodie, it gets up to maybe the mid-eighties range. Those days are pretty rare though. This is the kind of cold weather I like, and I realize now that in the past when I've claimed that I prefer the cold to the heat, this is the cold I was thinking of. I honestly have very little scope of what I'm going to be getting into in the winter here. I have the feeling that once I'm in it for a few months and forced to be up to teach at nine in the morning, I'll not enjoy the cold as much as I once thought. For now, I'll enjoy the "cold" weather and beautiful surroundings while I can still get away with not wearing a hat and gloves. I hope you enjoyed this little reflective piece/minor update on my life in Ohio. HERE ARE PICTURES.






6 comments:

Katie said...

how pretty. miss you a lot mike.

aaron said...

yeah, the weather has been pretty perfect here too.
glad your enjoying it up there, man.

You<3Dru said...

you know how I know you're gay? you want to go on a Fall Foliage Tour. cant help but laugh at family guy "leaf-ers" episode

Kacey said...

Nice pictures. The only thing I liked about Ohio was the weather, but the locals all assured me that I would change my mind if I had to live through their winter. Good luck with that.

Man, I need to finish that scarf!

Sean! said...

gotta go with dru on this one.

Mike Jaynes said...

I didn't say I WANTED to go on a Fall Foliage Tour, just that it was an option if I did want. Which I don't. SHUT UP YOU GUYS YOU'RE THE GAYS