Wednesday, October 1, 2008

yo hay

"I try to be like him more and more every day...not care as much about what people think, be more hospitable, pay closer attention to those around me, be a hard worker..." -Micky

Def. admirable qualities to strive for!

I'm really glad Sean started us writing about our feelings and thoughts on Sam and where we're at now with what happened. It makes me feel a lot better.

Here's my favorite quotes from Viktor Frankl's book, Man's Search for Meaning: READ THEM!

-Set me like a seal upon thy heart, love is a strong as death.

-Man’s suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it fills the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore, the “size” of human suffering is absolutely relative.
It also follows that a very trifling thing can cause the greatest of joys.

-Everything can be taken from man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.

-It does not really matter what we expect from life but rather what life expects from us.

-Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual.
These tasks, and therefore the meaning the of life, differ from man to man and from moment to moment.

-Nietzsche: He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.

-Being human always points, and is sometimes directed, to something, or someone, other than oneself – be it a meaning to fulfill or another human being to encounter. The more one forgets himself –by giving himself to a cause to serve or another person to love – the more he actualizes himself.

-Ultimate meaning necessarily exceeds and surpasses the finite intellectual capacities of man.

-What is demanded of man is not, as some existential philosophers teach, to endure the meaninglessness of life, but rather to bear his incapacity to grasp its unconditional meaningfulness in rational terms.

AND ALSO: these websites are very funny/good. GO TO THEM.
http://engrishfunny.com/
http://punditkitchen.com/
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

(I feel like I have to yell at you guys to do stuff b/c no one ever listens to me.)

4 comments:

josephine terese said...

"-Man’s suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it fills the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore, the “size” of human suffering is absolutely relative.
It also follows that a very trifling thing can cause the greatest of joys."
i like this one best.
thanks sarah

Mike Jaynes said...

Yeah, it was nice to get people talking about it again. I agree that I really hope we can get together in April. I fear I might not be able to, but it depends on if I start doing this online tutoring thing for extra moneys.

I started counseling last week and as it turns out, that book by Frankl was recommended to me. Weird. Or not so weird.

By the way, I just went back and looked at the comments on my post about Sam's facebook friend details and my comment about Zero was in reference only to Zero's entry, not the other ones. I feel it necessary to clarify that even though it was a month ago.

Voodoo Child said...

Thanks, Mike.

Yay for counseling! I'm glad you're taking such good care of yourself. And the Frankl book is really good. If you get more interested in the holocaust after reading it, try Night by Elie Wiesel. It's a real quick read and very moving.

Kacey said...

When I first began attending college, I had a psychology prof who was probably insane himself. The thing I remember most was him quoting Frankl in class and how his optimism about humanity changed my perspective on life. Good post, Sarah.

I have been thinking about the anniversary as well. I just really want to see everyone again.